Monday, September 23, 2013

Recipe: Easy, Quick, Protein Energy Bites

Stinker is officially in kindergarten, and while we are homeschooling, our group meets once a week for "classroom" time at a local church. Which means I have to pack a lunch. Now, you moms who pack fun and exciting lunches every day are seriously my heroes. I have to pack one lunch a week, and I'm stumped!

I stumbled across this recipe on another blog a while back, and decided to try my hand at them. They were delicious and easy to make, but I had forgotten about them until recently. Since Stinker doesn't like cheese, and peanut butter sandwiches are so 1986 (luckily there are no nut allergies in our group, so we're able to bring foods with nuts), these fit the bill perfectly for a quick main dish with some fruit, or an afternoon pick-me-up snack. But, best make a double batch. These are seriously gone within 12 hours. 

These protein bites are easier to make than my Breakfast Protein Cookies, but they still pack a healthy, protein-filled punch. And the recipe is really adaptable. I have a few different variations in mind I'd like to try.

 Easy, Quick, Protein Energy Bites
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup peanut butter (or any allowable nut butter)
1/3 cup honey (I like the texture of raw honey best)
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup ground flaxseed, or a combination of anything of similar textures...crushed cereal, wheat germ, cocoa powder, etc (I'm going to try crushed rice crisp cereal next!)
1/2 cup chocolate chips or raisins (or other dried fruit)
1 tsp vanilla
 
Mix all ingredients together, and refrigerate for one hour, until chilled. Roll into balls. Enjoy!

Browse my other Family Favorite Recipes HERE

Join our Facebook Community

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts