Sunday, February 16, 2014

To The Special Needs Mama...



Hey You!

No, not that one.

No, keep going.

Keep going.

Yes, you.

You’re probably wondering how I see you. No one ever sees you. They can’t see past that perfectly and wonderfully made little one that’s sitting with you.

Sure, they stare. They look. But they never really see.

But I know. I see.

I see you in the car. Heading to yet another appointment. Wondering if there’s still a granola bar in your purse since you forgot to eat breakfast. Again.

I see you with your friends…that sad smile when you congratulate another woman on her perfectly healthy newborn. When you hear them talking about the milestones your child may never accomplish. I see your grief when you notice them take their child’s health and development for granted; that slight twinge of pain that disappears before anyone can see it.

I see you spending your last ounce of energy helping your other children feel just as special and unique as their sibling who seems to get all your attention. Pouring yourself out to everyone else, when you feel like you have nothing left to give

I see your exhaustion at the end of the day. As you drag yourself into bed and realize that tomorrow will likely be just as long, just as challenging.

But, I also see your unrivaled joy when your child completes even the most mundane task on his or her own.  I see you relishing in a profound miracle that most people will never understand.

I also see into the eyes of your perfect child. Eyes of love. Pure love. Innocence and wonder. Eyes that give a little glimpse of heaven when you look into them.

I see the deep joy that your child is capable of bringing. He may be misunderstood at times. Feared, even, but his smile can melt the hearts of all those around him, if they choose to see.

I see you. It’s hard, it’s painful, it’s exhausting, and there may never be an answer for “why,” but I trust that all things work together for good, and that sometimes God’s greatest blessings are the unexpected challenges that help us see, truly see, the deepest abundance of love, joy, and peace that only He can give. The love, joy, and peace that He’s given your child…who wants to share it all with you.

What do you choose to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts