Sunday, March 30, 2014

Book Review-Heaven: What's It Like? How Do We Get There?

I read through the children's book Heaven: What's It Like? How Do We Get There? by Stephen Elkins, then gave it to Stinker to look at. She enjoyed the illustrations, and I liked the content and layout.

The book is geared toward children obviously, probably in the 3 to 8 year old range. The 121-page book is divided into three sections. The first section is entitled "What is Heaven Like?" and tells about the characteristics of heaven (it's perfect, beautiful, no sadness, we'll praise Jesus, no night in heaven, etc). The second section is called "How Do We Get There?" and tells about sin, why we need a Savior, and that Jesus died for us and through Him we can go to heaven. The last section is called "How Do We Live Like Jesus Until Then?" which gives character traits (such as love one another, serve one another, show respect, be joyful, etc.) for little ones to work on.

The layout of the book is also very cute. At the top of each page there is the subject, followed by a Bible verse, then a little poem related to the topic and verse, and a sweet illustration. It's very easy to read aloud to children all at once, or one topic at a time, like a daily devotional. There is also a glossary of Bible words in the back, which makes it even easier for children to understand.

The only thing I would have liked in the book is a more detailed page about asking Jesus into your heart. There was only a half a page about it, and I think another page of "How do I ask Jesus into my heart?" or "How do I trust Jesus?" would have made the book even better.

Stinker and I did like it, though, and it was very well-received in our house. I'm thinking of adding it to our daily devotions.

Bottom Line: 8*/10*

*Thank you to Tyndale for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions are my own, and have not been swayed or influenced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts