Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cooking Tip-Buttermilk

You're halfway through making Buttermilk Cornbread when you realize you don't have buttermilk...Luckily, the chances are you have everything you need to make your own buttermilk at home!

To make one cup of buttermilk, put 1 TBS lemon juice or white vinegar in a measuring bowl. Add enough milk to equal one cup. Let sit for 5 minutes. Use as you would buttermilk.

This is one of my favorite kitchen tips, and to be honest, I haven't purchased buttermilk in years! It's saved me a lot of money...not having to spend $3 on a quart of buttermilk that you probably won't even finish up before it spoils, really adds up!

2 comments:

  1. How long does this keep...if you don't need all of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      I don't actually know the answer to that...so I try to scale down the recipe to only what I need. For example, if I only need 1/2 C of buttermilk, I will only use 1/2 TBS (or 1.5 tsp) of lemon juice.

      Delete

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts