Sunday, May 5, 2013

Slow Cooker Refried Beans

Ever since I posted my slow cooker black bean recipe, waaaaay back in the day that I first started this blog, people have been asking how they can tweak the recipe to make refried beans. Well, you'll be happy to hear that slow cooker refried beans are very simple to make, and don't require any lard, (like the truly authentic taqueria beans), but still taste amazing.

Slow Cooker Refried Beans
  • 1.5 C dry pinto beans, picked through and rinsed
  • 4.5 C hot water (helps the beans cook faster)
  • 1 TBS minced garlic
  • 1/2 onion peeled, left whole OR 1/2 C finely chopped onion
  • 2.5 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 or 1/4 chopped jalapeno depending on your spice tolerance (seeds removed)
    • Combine all ingredients, cook on low 8 to 10 hours, or until soft. If using whole onion, discard. 
    • Remove beans to a large bowl, and reserve water in slow cooker. Add 1/2 to 1 C of cooking liquid at a time to beans, and mash with a potato masher or fork until desired consistency is attained.
    • Serve and enjoy!
      • Note: Like my black beans, I like to start these on high for 3-4 hours, then switch to low for 5-6 hours. If your beans do not seem to cook in 8-10 hours on low, try this method. I have found there to be a variance in the cooking times for different brands of dried beans. The older the beans, the longer they take to cook as well.
Come Visit Our Facebook Community!

Browse all my Family Favorite Recipes 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts