Monday, August 1, 2011

Weekly Menu-July 31-August 6, 2011

How is it already August? These days are just flying by!! Alas, it is already time to plan another menu. I have set my budget at $60 for the week.

Sunday, July 31
Grilled Greek Chicken
Parmesan Orzo
Balsamic Salad

Monday, August 1
Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Salad
French Bread

Tuesday, August 2
Grilled Fish Tacos with Cilantro Cream Sauce
Black Beans
Cilantro Lime Rice

Wednesday, August 3
Grilled Hamburgers
Homemade French Fries
Fresh Fruit

Thursday, August 4
Black Bean Enchiladas
Green Salad

Friday, August 5
Pesto Pasta
Green Salad
Garlic Bread

Saturday, August 6
Leftover Night

Here is how I plan to spend only $60 this week:
  • Meatless Meals
    • Black Bean Enchiladas and Pesto Pasta are meatless meals, but they are full of protein and flavor, making them filling and delicious, while maintaining my pocketbook!
  • Reusing Black Beans
    • Black Beans are an incredibly inexpensive, but hearty dish, and I am using them for the basis of two meals: Fish Tacos served with Black Beans, and Black Bean Enchiladas. By making two meals out of one inexpensive dish, I can save enough money to purchase high quality beef, chicken, and fish for my other meals.
  • Using Chicken in a Supporting Role
    • The Strawberry Balsamic Salad is delicious without meat, but I am adding chicken to it since we're already eating two meatless meals this week. But, I will only need to buy 3/4 lb to 1 lb of chicken to make 4 full main dish salads since there are so many other delicious, filling additions to the salad.
  • Do One Main Side Dish For the Week
    • I usually pick one veggie for the week I choose to incorporate into all my side dishes for the week. This week, I'm buying a big box of organic mixed greens for Costco (only $3.99), and using it for our Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Salad, and Green Salads throughout the week with our other meals.
  • Use Leftovers the Next Day for Lunch
    • I save probably $30/week by eating leftovers for lunch. Leftovers don't sound appetizing? Consider this...you could save over $1500 per year eating leftovers instead of purchasing bread, lunch meat and other lunch items. Or, if you eat out for lunch every day, you could save over $3000 per year eating leftovers instead of going out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts