Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Greek Yogurt in the Crock Pot!

My husband eats Greek Yogurt for breakfast every morning. So, imagine my excitement when I found this online tutorial for making your own yogurt in the crockpot! I decided to adapt the recipe to our tastes and make Honey Greek Yogurt.

Start out with 8 C (1/2 gallon) of homogenized or pasteurized milk. I used whole milk this time around, but next time I will use 2%.

 Dump the half gallon into the crock pot, and turn on LOW for 2.5 hours.

Turn off, and unplug the crock pot, and let it sit, cover on, for 3 hours.

I found it useful to write down the times so I didn't forget.

After the 3 hours is up, scoop out 2 C of the milk and whisk in 1/2 C of storebought yogurt to the 2 C of reserved milk. Add the milk/yogurt mixture back to the crockpot. I used a 1/2 C of the last batch of yogurt I made.

Cover the entire crock pot with a bath towel and let sit for 8 hours or overnight.

Put a strainer over a bowl.

Cover the strainer with paper towels, cover with Saran wrap, and put in the fridge for a few hours. I did it overnight. Just because I didn't want to stay up until 2am. But, this is so delicious, I would have.

I woke up this morning, and look, super thick Greek yogurt!

Scoop out 1/2 C of yogurt to use in your next batch.

Drizzle honey over your yogurt, and stir.

Drizzle with more honey, top with fresh fruit, and enjoy. I know you will!

Hungry For More? Join the Save Money, Live Joyfully Facebook Community

7 comments:

  1. After I put the paper towels in the strainer, do I put the yogurt in and then saran wrap it or the other way around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paper towels, Yogurt, Saran Wrap to cover in the fridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike. This should last 7-10 days in the refrigerator. Hope you get the chance to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making my own yogurt has been on my list for so long...but I've never gotten around to trying. I so should! Thanks for the list post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so excited to try this - we've recently discovered Greek yogurt and really enjoy it ... but not the price!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did this last night with some cheats - so I had my crock pot on high for 2.5 hours and the milk was only at like 150 (degrees) and I've read it needs to be at 190 or 200 - but you make no mention of checking temp (and we have the exact crock pot you show) - do you monitor temp at all?

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts