Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Simple Cleaning Tips...Kitchen

If you're anything like me, the kitchen become the catch-all room. As aggravating as it is, the kitchen just attracts stuff. At any given time my kitchen counters will house coupons, magazines, I think there may even be a screwdriver on there right now.

But, I hate to clean. I mean, I really, really hate cleaning. My dear, her-home-is-spotless mother has always given me one cleaning tip: "If you get something out, put it away." I have tried to live by this rule, and it really does make things easier. A little preventative cleaning every day will save you a ton of cleaning later!

Here are a few easy, decluttering cleaning tips for the "heart of the home".
  • Get a basket for every room, including the kitchen. If misplaced items accumulate in a different room during the day (think mail, toys, books, etc.), place them in the basket. Empty the basket and put the misplaced items in their place at the end of every day.
  • Wipe down the counters after every meal. Coming downstairs to a dirty counter just starts the day off on the wrong foot.
  • Make cleaning the kitchen a part of your routine. Spend 5 minutes a couple times a day picking up. I spend 5 minutes after breakfast, 5 minutes after I prep dinner, and 5 minutes after my little one goes to bed to put away misplaced items, clean off the countertops, sweep the floors, and make sure the dishwasher is either set to run, or emptied if already run
  • When you cook, clean as you go. As a habit before you start cooking, run a sink of soapy water. When you're done with each meal prep item, put it in the sink. Wash and rinse, or rinse and put in the dishwasher as soon as you're done. 
  • Organize your cooking tools. As much as you thought you were going to use that melon baller, you probably don't use it as much as you think. Instead, place all your common utensils (spatulas, wooden spoons, tongs, ladles, etc.) in an easy to navigate drawer, and put the rest of your not-so-common utensils in a bag in the cabinet, or the pantry.
By spending just a few minutes every day keeping your kitchen tidy, you will save yourself from having to clean up a huge mess in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts