Friday, March 23, 2012

Make it Or Buy It? Detangler

I have seen recipes all over the internet for homemade hair detangler. Since this is something my daughter uses on a daily basis, I decided to try my luck at it. It's actually very simple. (So simple, in fact, that I feel a little dumb for buying it!)
Yep, that's the cast of characters. Just water and conditioner and a spray bottle. I filled the spray bottle (3 oz) about 3/4 of the way full and added some conditioner. No more than a few squirts...somewhere between 1/4-1/2 tsp. Then I shook the spray bottle until the conditioner was dissolved.
It became super foamy. It worked pretty well in my daughter's hair. I had to re-spray a couple areas, but I think as I make this more I'll find the perfect ratio of conditioner to water. The only thing I would do next time is buy kid friendly conditioner. It does sting a little when it it accidentally gets inside little eyes.

Water: Free (1/3 C of water is what, 1/20 of a penny?)
Conditioner: $0.05 (I can make 20 batches of detangler in this 3 oz spray bottle. Conditioner was $1, so each batch cost about $0.05.)  
Spray Bottle: $1 (One time cost.)

Cost Per oz of homemade: $0.02/oz plus the one time cost of a spray bottle

Cost Per 10 oz of storebought: $0.19/oz

Bottom Line: Make It. There is no downside to making this yourself, and you'll save money!

Check out our entire "Make It or Buy It" Series here


We'd love to see you over at the Save Money, Live Joyfully Facebook Community

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts