Monday, January 21, 2013

Super Fast, Super Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

One of my favorite foods to make and freeze in the winter is chicken noodle soup. When colds or flus make an unexpected and unwelcome visit to our home, I pull out a batch, make some noodles, and serve for instant comfort!

This is the easiest and quickest chicken soup I have found. It tastes great...very simple, but sometimes that's the best! This is a great recipe for using leftover chicken from a previous meal or a storebought rotisserie chicken. Remember, if freezing, don't add the noodles until you thaw, otherwise they will get mushy and absorb too much broth. I always make my noodles separate anyway. Everyone can add however many they want, and I don't have to worry about the noodles getting too soft.

Super Simple Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup (makes 12-15 servings)
  • 2 TBS Butter
  • 1 TBS Olive Oil
  • 2 C chopped Celery
  • 1.5 C chopped Onion (about one medium onion)
  • 2 C chopped Carrot
  • 4 (32 oz) cartons Chicken Broth or Stock
  • 4 C chopped, cooked Chicken
  • 1 teaspoon Parsley
  • 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 box pasta of your choice. I like egg noodles, my daughter likes stars, sometimes we use cut spaghetti or rotini.
In a large pot, melt butter and olive oil over medium heat. Cook celery, onion, and carrot until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, chicken, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer 20 minutes. 

While simmering, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add 1/2 box of noodles (about 8 oz, or 2-3 C depending on cut of pasta.) Cook until noodles are done. Drain water. 

Add noodles to bottom of serving bowl. Ladle in soup. Serve and enjoy!

If freezing, I add about 4 servings (figure out how many ladles you use for each bowl) to a glass or plastic container. Upon defrosting, I just make up some noodles, reheat the soup, and serve!

Come Join the Save Money, Live Joyfully Facebook Community


Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts