Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Homestead Corn Muffins

My son is scheduled for surgery soon, so we've been staying in as much as possible. Seems that everyone on this side of the country is battling some kind of flu/virus/cold, and we need to keep him healthy. As a result, we've been going to the store less, and making do with what we have. (Which is a great way to save money and something we should be doing more of anyway!)

So, when I threw together Chili last night using leftover steak in place of the usual ground beef, I knew I needed an accompaniment. I had one egg left--not enough for my usual cornbread recipe, so I improvised upon a couple different recipes until I came up with this slightly sweet and crumbly corn muffin recipe. Great for crumbling into a big bowl of hearty chili! It's denser than my usual cakey cornbread, so if you want it more cakey then crumbly, add another egg.

Homestead Corn Muffins makes 18-24 muffins
2 cups cornmeal  
2 cups milk 
1 TBS lemon juice 
1 C all-purpose flour 
2/3 C white sugar 
3 TBS canola oil 
3/4 tsp salt 
1 tsp baking soda 
1 egg

  • Preheat oven to 350*. Line a muffin tin with liners. 
  • Add lemon juice and milk to bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
  • Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl.
  • Add milk mixture, oil, and egg. Combine until well combined.
  • Pour muffin liners 2/3 full with batter.
  • Bake 15-20 minutes, or until browned and knife poked into the center of muffin comes out clean.
Browse other Family Favorite Recipes

Join the Save Money, Live Joyfully Facebook Community

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear your son needs surgery - hope everything goes well! These muffins look delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts