Friday, August 23, 2013

Book Review: Homeschool Mom's Bible (NIV)

Stinker is starting kindergarten this year, I can hardly believe it. Where has the time gone? While we've done some informal curriculum in the past, this will be the first year we have a formal curriculum, and will be officially a homeschooling family.

I'm a little on the intimidated side, this being our first year, so I was very excited to have the opportunity to read and review the Homeschool Mom's Bible (NIV). The Bible has 365 Devotions written by veteran homeschooling mom, Janet Tatman, tucked within it's pages, that offer a Bible verse and prayer, encouragement, and daily pieces of wisdom for the homeschooling mother.

The devotionals themselves are well-written, and actually give me a little more insight into what specific issues we may find ourselves encountering as a homeschool family (everything from parent burn-out to discipline to social interaction.) I enjoyed reading the devotions. However, aside from the devotions, the rest of the Bible is very basic. It provides no commentary or life application, does not include a map or items of historical significance (which would be useful for homeschooling), and does not give any background or context into the books of the Bible.

While I enjoyed the devotions themselves, I would have preferred to have purchased them as just a devotional. There were no additional features of the Bible that stood out, and I would have liked to have seen some more academic applications within the pages. 

Thanks to the publisher and Booksneeze for providing a copy of this book for review. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts