Sunday, January 5, 2014

Recipe: Crock Pot Baked Potatoes

I received our crock pot as a wedding present, almost 9 years ago, and have used it so much that the insert is permanently discolored from batches upon batches of tomato based soups and black beans. As a newlywed finishing my degree, I would put something in before class, and it would be finished as we got home that evening. Now, as a mom, I use my crock pot as often as possible, because, let's face it, there are some days that dinner wouldn't get on the table if it weren't for the glorious appliance.

This week I found out that you can actually make Baked Potatoes in the crock pot! How perfect is that? Either as a side dish or a main course topped with the works, baked potatoes are a versatile staple that I rarely make, for the sole reason that the last thing I'm thinking about at 4:15pm is putting potatoes in the oven. Microwave at 5:30pm, yes. In the morning when the kids are still mild-mannered, yes. So, what better way to get a head start on dinner than to throw some potatoes in the crock pot?

The skin on these potatoes don't get as crisp as they would in the oven, but they're still good, and I will be using this recipe often in the future!

Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
Serves 4

-4 Russet Potatoes, thoroughly washed and dried
-Vegetable or canola oil*
-Salt
(*I used extra virgin olive oil and the flavor of the oil was pretty strong, so I would use a more neutral oil next time.)

Stab the potatoes with a fork, rub with a small amount of vegetable or canola oil, and sprinkle with salt. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, until potatoes are soft and tender. Cut open and serve with variety of toppings.

Browse more family favorite recipes here.

Join our Facebook Community

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts