Thursday, July 17, 2014

Book Review: Get to Know Jesus

As a homeschooling mom, I'm always on the lookout for good books I can use in my curriculum. Zonderkidz Publishers has just come out with a set of historical biographies of Biblical figures that go perfectly with our Bible curriculum. There are biographies about Jesus, Mary, Paul, and King David. I decided to review Jesus.

This book is geared towards children aged 6-10. It's a smaller book (normal kid sized paperback) full color, and includes maps, photos of artifacts, and artists renditions of Jesus' life and ministry. It is 122 pages, and includes a Bibliography and a list of additional reading for kids to learn more about the times of Jesus.

I love how the biography of Jesus starts before he was born...with original sin, the ups and downs of the Jewish people, and our need for a Savior. Then, it goes into the birth of Jesus, followed by His childhood, ministry on earth, His death and resurrection, and finally His role in the Book of Revelation. Each chapter includes Biblical accounts of Jesus' life, as well as historical accounts (ie. Josephus), and scholarly interpretations. There is also a glossary of words that kids might not understand, and other really useful and interesting information about the times of Jesus.

I loved all the color photos and maps. Stinker stayed engaged, and I think as she gets older, these books will help her as she learns more about the context of History, and how Scripture ties into world history. My only complaint is that many of the photos came from Wikimedia, which is part of the Wikipedia chain of websites. Knowing how unreliable Wikipedia can be, I am hesitant about the photos from Wikimedia. However,  I will probably purchase the other books in this series, since I really enjoyed it, and it will be useful for our homeschool journey.

Bottom Line 8.5*/10*

Thank you to ZonderKidz Publishers and BookLook Bloggers for a complimentary copy of this book for review. I was not required to post a favorable review, and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts