Thursday, October 2, 2014

How an $11 Roast Lasted Us 4 Meals...

Over the weekend I made a large pork roast from Costco. It was roughly 4 pounds, and only $11. This meat was going to last us for lunches and dinners the next couple days, without tasting like leftovers. I can't stand eating the same thing everyday, so I had to ensure variety, while maintaining a budget and staying pretty healthy.

Meal 1:
BBQ Pork Sandwiches
Coleslaw
Homemade Baked Beans
After my husband grilled the roast, I chopped 3/4 of the roast and sliced the other 1/4. I used about 1/4 of the chopped meat for the BBQ sandwiches, so we got a bunch of sandwiches out of only a little meat. Coleslaw ingredients and baked bean ingredients are pretty inexpensive as well.

Meal 2:
BBQ Wraps
Fresh Fruit
I added a scoop of leftover pork to a tortilla, along with some baked beans and just enough cheese to keep the tortilla closed (not enough cheese to make a quesadilla), and grilled the tortilla until everything was hot and the cheese was melted. I served with fresh fruit, and BBQ sauce for dipping.

Meal 3:
Cuban Sandwiches
Chips
Fresh Fruit
I picked up a 1/2 lb of quality sliced ham from the deli (less than $5), and some torta rolls from Costco. I layered each roll with some brown mustard, sliced pickles, 2 slices of ham, a slice of cheese, and several slices of pork (this recipe uses the 1/4 of the roast that was sliced instead of chopped). I then grilled the sandwiches until the meat was hot and the cheese was melted. I served with chips and fresh fruit.

Meal 4
Pork Tacos
Cilantro Lime Rice
Simply heat the 1/4 of the roast that remains on the stove, and season with a pinch of chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Serve in warm tortillas with lettuce, tomato, and shredded cheese. Serve with cooked white rice, that has a half a lime's worth of juice and a handful of chopped cilantro stirred in just before serving.

 
All told, I spent about $40 for dinners for the week, since I picked up organic fruit and high quality dairy. The 5th meal was ham and pineapple pizza using the leftover ham from the Cuban Sandwiches.

Join our Facebook Community

Browse all my Family Favorite Recipes

Pin This! 


1 comment:

  1. What a great post, I love to see how many meal we can get out of one roast, it is a great bargain! Hope you are having a fantastic week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts