I don't know about you, but sometimes when I'm reading through Scripture (especially in the Old Testament), I'll see a name or place I can't pronounce and just gloss over it. I'm sure there is meaning to what I just read, but I don't always take the time to look up the names and places, and I know my reading time could be better understood with the help of a good Bible Dictionary.
Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary is a large reference book that is both an encyclopedia and a dictionary. It gives the correct pronunciation of Biblical words, names, and places, and also gives the history behind it as well as a very detailed definition. In addition, the entries are cross-referenced with where they're found in Scripture, and there are many wonderful photos of artifacts and locations. One of the other impressive things about this reference book, is how much detail the entries have. The entry for each book of the Bible includes the theme and outline of the book, cultural background, spiritual significance, and historical setting. Important people in the Bible also have long and detailed entries. There are also categories, such as Biblical Occupation and Trades, which describe the in detail the role of dozens of jobs referred to in the Bible.
I was very impressed with the scope and vast information in this book, and I would recommend it to anyone, whether they have a doctorate in theology or simply want to learn more about the Bible. I know it will be a well-used reference book, both in my own devotional time and in our homeschool classroom.
*I was provided a free copy of this book from Thomas Nelson and Booklook Bloggers in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced in any way.
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Book Review: Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary
Labels:
Book Reviews,
Books
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
This is a test of my new site
-
*Follow Me on Facebook , Pinterest , and Twitter * Thinking back on the date September 12, 2012 stirs many deep feelings inside ...
-
*Follow Me on Facebook , Pinterest , and Twitter * So, it's no secret that I'm in love with dollar store cookie sheets. Yo...
-
Follow Me On Facebook , Pinterest , and Twitter I love homeschooling. I really, really do. We have chosen to homeschool our kids f...
-
1. I played baseball as a pitcher until high school. I even got to throw out the First Pitch at a Major League Baseball game. 2. I...
-
The first restaurant my now-husband ever took me to was over Labor Day weekend 2003, a little Italian cafe in Northern California. I have...
-
I'm a sensitive person. I always have been. I once had to sell candy bars for my elementary school sports team. I took my box 'o can...
-
Junior celebrated his second birthday this week. It was so exciting that he could hear us singing to him. His "ears" (c...
-
For this project, you will need paint (any colors), glitter, a marble, a piece of construction paper, and a cookie sheet with sides. If the...
-
You know when you go to your favorite restaurant, and you know exactly what you're going to order? You get your taste buds all ...

No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!