Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Kid's Activity--Imagination Connect-the-Dots

My three year old has a new favorite thing--Connect-the-Dots puzzles. As I was printing out page after page of Connect-the-Dots, I thought back to a game I used to play as a kid. I was never very talented with art or any kind of symmetry, really (remember my "Math Ideas" college course?), so I enjoyed doing "abstract" art projects, hoping the term "abstract" would distract people from the truth of my lack of artistic skill. In any case, all you need is a piece of paper and a marker. (Or pen, or pencil, or chalk, or any other writing utensil.)
Yep, that's all you need for a fun, imagination driven activity for any age.

Draw a lot of random dots on the paper. I like to close my eyes for true random placement, but make sure the marker is washable if you do that. Trust me. Sorry for the shadowed photos...it was an awfully sunny day. (Not that I'm complaining...)

Then have your child connect the dots in any direction or order he/she wants. Once finished, encourage your child to tell you what they see. My daughter and I both saw a dinosaur with a long tail in this one.

Turn the paper sideways or upside down. From this angle it looks like a kangaroo with a mohawk!

I see a howling coyote here!

For more fun, have your child add eyes, a nose, etc, and color their design. Think of this activity as sort of cloud watching. Without the clouds. And not being outside. And with paper. But, it encourages imagination, which is always good.

Want more fun ideas? Check out our collection of frugal kid's activities. Then come join our Facebook Community!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts