Friday, August 17, 2012

My Favorite Lunch Recipe...Chicken Caesar Wrap


The first restaurant my now-husband ever took me to was over Labor Day weekend 2003, a little Italian cafe in Northern California. I have no idea what he ordered, but I took notice of a menu offering called a piadina in which freshly baked flatbread is topped with salad ingredients, folded, and eaten. I ordered the Chicken Caesar Variety. I've been obsessed with recreating that sandwich ever since, so you know it had to have been good.

My homemade variety of the Chicken Caesar Piadina is just as satisfying and costs significantly less than $9.50 plus tax and tip. I have used flatbread, wraps, and even freshly baked pizza dough. All are delicious, but if you go the pizza dough route, make sure you've rolled it pretty thin to ensure a healthy bread to tasty filling ratio and be forewarned it may be slightly messier than a flatbread or wrap because it doesn't fold as well.

If you never make it to Walnut Creek to enjoy an authentic piadina, whip this one up yourself, pretend you're in Sunny California, and enjoy!

Chicken Caesar Wraps (makes 4 large sandwiches)
3 cloves Garlic, minced
3/4 C Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Anchovy Paste (found in the condiment section of the grocery store)
1/2 C grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon or Spicy Brown Mustard
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
2 heads Romaine Lettuce, rinsed and dried and torn into small pieces
2 C cooked chicken, cut into chunks
4 pieces of flatbread, wraps, or baked pizza dough

Combine minced garlic with mayonnaise, anchovy paste, 1/4 C of the parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt, if desired. Mix well. Refrigerate one hour for maximum flavor melding.
Pour desired amount of dressing onto lettuce, top with chicken. Combine until well coated. Spoon salad onto flatbread, wrap, or pizza dough. Top sandwiches equally with remaining parmesan cheese and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Fold and enjoy!

Browse our recipe collection HERE and come be a member of our Facebook Community!

1 comment:

  1. so fun you made your own dressing - I just might have to try that!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts