Sunday, March 2, 2014

Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe

This meal has sort of a Princess Leia thing going on...see the oranges as her braids? As soon as I can pry my eyes away from the uncanny resemblance, I want to share with you a recipe that we love!

Whenever Costco has their pork loins on sale, I'll pick one up (they're usually 8-10 lbs), cut them into 2 pound portions, and freeze them. Two pounds is plenty for our family of 4, and since I try to get the most out of my meat by shredding it when possible, one portion lasts us a couple days. Half of the portions I typically use for BBQ Pork, and the other half I make into shredded Mexican pork, aka Carnitas.

Slow Cooker Carnitas
adapted from Food Network
  • 2 lb boneless pork loin or pork roast
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried cumin
  • 1 TBS olive oil
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 small jalapeno or 1/2 large jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
  • 1 small orange, or 1/2 large orange halved
  • 2 TBS olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  1.  In a large pan, heat 2 TBS olive oil. Season pork with salt and pepper. Sear the pork until browned on all sides. Put into the crock pot. 
  2. Mix 1 TBS olive oil with the oregano and cumin. Brush over loin/roast.
  3. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno.
  4. Add the juice of the orange and any spent orange halves.
  5. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours, until pork shreds easily.
  6. Shred pork, add back into the slow cooker, and stir so it can continue to cook in the juices.
  7. Keep pork in the juices for one hour on warm or low setting. 
  8. Serve as tacos, burritos, tostadas, or over beans and rice.
Join our Facebook Community

Browse my other family favorite recipes here

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts