Wednesday, June 25, 2014

DIY Lego Travel Tray

Last summer's travel lap tray idea worked relatively well on our travels, but now that Stinker is really into Legos, and after I made the Lego Pattern Travel Game last week, I began to wonder if I could travel with Legos without worrying about them getting lost or thrown all over the place. Ah ha! It can be done!! A Lego Travel Tray. It takes 2 minutes to make, and only cost about $10. Now, Stinker can build some masterpieces on our next road trip or plane ride, and I won't have to wedge myself under the back seat searching for missing Lego pieces. Not that I've ever done that before. Especially not Wild Style's hair piece. Ahem.

Anyway, the shopping list is pretty straight-forward. You'll need:
  • Cookie Sheet (I get mine at the Dollar Store. They cost $1, and are about 9"x12".)
  • Lego Plate (This was the most expensive piece. I found one for $5.99, and it's a 10"x10".)
  • Magnetic Spice Containers (Michaels had these for $1.50 each, but I had a 15% off coupon)
  • Box Cutter (not pictured)
  • Super Glue or Hot Glue Gun (Not Pictured)
1. First, if you have a 9"x12" cookie sheet, you'll need to cut the Lego plate to fit the cookie sheet. Using a box cutter, apply firm pressure in a straight line, to cut off about 3 rows of raised dots. I actually cut off four, but start with three. Note: You'll want to run the box cutter through two or three times. The plastic will actually break off where the cut was, creating a nice, even cut. My amazing grampa did the cutting for me. Because he's handy like that. And because I can't cut a straight line to save my life.


2. Next, use Super Glue or a hot glue gun to attach the Lego plate to the edge of the cookie sheet. You'll want to leave room for the magnetic containers on the side. Allow to dry.




3. Fill magnetic containers with Legos, and place on the edge of the tray. Apparently I turned my tray between pictures. It was a Monday night after a very long Monday. I have no explanation.

4. Now you can enjoy Legos while traveling, and not have to wonder how Wild Style's hair piece could have possibly jumped out of the car because you scoured every square inch of the backseat and found nothing save french fries that may be older than your youngest child. Again, not that I've ever done that, but just a helpful reminder. Because I care. 

Join our Facebook Community

Pin this!! 


 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea! I saw your link at Serenity Now and had to come stop by. Legos are such fantastic toys. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts