Friday, July 4, 2014

Book Review: NIrV Adventure Bible for Early Readers

For Christmas last year, we wanted to get Stinker a "big kid Bible". She was about 5 and a half, and was learning to read, and wanted something that had the entire Word in it, instead of another Story Bible. We decided to get her the Adventure Bible NIV, but she didn't take to reading it independently as much as I would have liked. The original NIV Adventure Bible is marketed for kids age 8-12, so I wasn't too surprised, but was still on the lookout for an unabridged Children's Bible with wording and activities she would understand. When I found out about the NIrV Adventure Bible for Early Readers I was really excited to get it for Stinker!

The Bible itself is written in the New International Reader's Version (NIrV), which is similar to the New International Version (NIV), just a little easier to read. The features of the Adventure Bible for Early Readers are similar to the Adventure Bible, but written with younger readers in mind. For example, the memory verses embedded in the text are the same verses, but written in their respective version, and the "Live It" and "Life in Bible Times" snippets have the same general theme, but are written with words that younger kids would understand. The Adventure Bible for Early Readers also features full color features, color maps, and engaging illustrations.

Although Stinker, who is not quite 6 years old, isn't independently reading the Bible on her own yet, she likes to look through it and read a sentence here and there. The full color really keeps her interest. If you already have an Adventure Bible for older children, you will probably see a lot of repetition, and it probably isn't worth purchasing The Adventure Bible for Early Readers. But if you're looking for a good starter Bible to get your 6-10 year old interested in the Word, this is a really nice option.

If you're not familiar with the NIrV vs the NIV, here is Psalm 23:1-3 in both versions:

NIrV: "The LORD is my shepherd. He gives me everything I need. He lets me lie down in fields of green grass. He leads me beside quiet waters. He gives me new strength. He guides me in the right paths for the honor of his name."

NIV: "The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake."

Bottom Line: 7.5*/10*

Thanks to Zonderkidz Publishing and BookLook Bloggers for a complimentary review copy of this Bible. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts