Stinker loves getting mail, just like any other kid. She's been having fun being a pen pal to her friend who lives across the country, so she's always excited to check the mail to see if anything came for her.
Love Letters from God Bible Stories is a new children's book written by Glenys Nellist and illustrated by Sophie Allsopp. It presents a handful of favorite Bible stories, each story accompanied by a verse, some wonderful illustrations, and a lift the flap envelope that is written as a love letter to the child from God. I love the layout of the book and the illustrations, and Stinker was duly impressed with each "letter from God." There is even a letter at the very end for your child to write a letter to God.
The only con to the book was the creative liberty some of the stories took. I understand that it is a Children's book, and the stories have to be appealing to kids, but it's still the Bible, and I don't like anything added or taken away. In the story of Adam and Eve, Satan is presented as a snake instead of a serpent, and Eve eats an apple, instead of the fruit, as is said in the Bible. (Many of us grew up with those misnomers, so it's not a huge deal, just something that bugged me.) However, in the story of the Loaves and Fishes, the boy with the food is named "Nathan". Nowhere in the Bible does it mention the boy's name, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable adding things just for the sake of entertainment.
That said, I still enjoyed the book, and I love the concept of the "love letters" from God. I only wish the creative license had been toned down.
*I received a free copy of this book from Zondervan Publishing and BookLook Bloggers in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.
Saturday, September 27, 2014
Book Review: Love Letters from God
Labels:
Book Reviews,
Books
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Frugal Momma's Famous Budget Black Beans I love this recipe. I love this recipe so much I give it to everyone I know. I think I've e...
-
*Follow Me on Facebook , Pinterest , and Twitter * Thinking back on the date September 12, 2012 stirs many deep feelings inside ...
-
*Follow Me on Facebook , Pinterest , and Twitter * So, it's no secret that I'm in love with dollar store cookie sheets. Yo...
-
My husband eats Greek Yogurt for breakfast every morning. So, imagine my excitement when I found this online tutorial for making your own yo...
-
I’ve sat down to write this post numerous times over the last month. But, I wasn’t feeling very joyful—quite the opposite actually—...
-
This is a test of my new site
-
Follow Me On Facebook , Pinterest , and Twitter I love homeschooling. I really, really do. We have chosen to homeschool our kids f...
-
For this project, you will need paint (any colors), glitter, a marble, a piece of construction paper, and a cookie sheet with sides. If the...
-
I love Christmas. It's possible that Christmas music begins at or around Halloween in my home. I love the Christmas cookies, the Chris...
-
1. I played baseball as a pitcher until high school. I even got to throw out the First Pitch at a Major League Baseball game. 2. I...

No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!