Saturday, April 7, 2012

Delicious, Protein Packed Breakfast Cookie Recipe

It's always a challenge to get my daughter to eat enough protein in the mornings, but she's always in a better mood when she does. I found a breakfast cookie recipe and tweaked it a whole bunch until I found a winner for our family. My daughter feels like she's getting a treat having chocolate chips with her breakfast, and I love how healthy these are! These cake-like cookies taste better as they cool, so don't expect to eat them straight out of the oven. I get about 15 cookies from this recipe.

Delicious, Protein Packed Breakfast Cookies
adapted from Allrecipes
  • 1 C walnuts
  • 1.5 C quick oats
  • 1/3 C flour (you can use either whole wheat or all-purpose)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 C peanut butter
  • 1/4 C melted coconut oil
  • 1/4 C honey
  • 1/3 C brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 C raisins
  • 3/4 C dark chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Place walnuts in a food processor or blender, and process until ground into flour. Transfer to a medium bowl. Mix in oats, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until well combined.
  3. Mix peanut butter, coconut oil, honey, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla to food processor or blender until well combined.
  4. Pour peanut butter mixture into a large bowl, and fold in raisins and chocolate chips. Stir in oat-flour mixture until well combined. 
  5. Using a cookie scoop, place cookies on parchment lined baking sheets. Flatten down cookies before placing them in the oven.
  6. Bake in the 375 degree oven for 8-12 minutes (mine take about 11 minutes) until lightly browned.
  7. Allow to cool. Cookies may seem crumbly and "wet" when taken from the oven, but will bind together as they cool. 
Check out all our recipes HERE

Come Join Our Save Money, Live Joyfully Facebook Community!
 

    2 comments:

    1. Wonderful! My daughter has been asking for cookies all week but we don't keep them in the house. I'll have to make these for her! I would love for you to link up and share at my weekly Pinterest Party!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope you enjoy them! My daughter loves them. Thanks for the invite to your linky party!

        Delete

    What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

    Popular Posts