Friday, April 19, 2013

Perfect French Toast

French toast is one of those dishes that everyone expects something a little different from. From the texture of the bread to the amount of sweetness, to the egg-milk ratio, it seems that everyone makes this dish a little differently.

I personally like french toast that gets a nice crust and is cooked through (I'm not a fan of the soggy, undercooked versions that occur when bread is sliced too thick or is oversaturated with the egg-milk mixture.) So, that's what this recipe creates. It's my perfect french toast combination. Slightly sweet, but not overpoweringly so, with a perfect texture. I either use leftover french bread or if I find day old bakery bread on sale, I will plan on making this for breakfast the next morning.

My kids love this recipe too. I'll make a batch (one loaf of bread yields about 10-12 slices), and we'll reheat them in the toaster for a couple days worth of breakfasts.

*One note--if you can't find whole nutmeg to grind yourself, omit it altogether. Fresh nutmeg has an inherently different taste than the pre-ground jarred version.

Perfect French Toast
1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (*see note above)
3 tablespoons sugar 
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk or coconut milk or almond milk (we use coconut milk)
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
10-12 slices french or ciabatta bread, sliced to 1/2" thickness 
Butter for greasing pan

In a frying pan, melt a small amount of butter over medium heat. Mix together cinnamon, sugar, fresh nutmeg if using, eggs, milk, and vanilla and pour into an 8x8 baking dish. Dip bread in egg mixture. Cook slices until golden, then turn to cook other side. Repeat until all bread is used. Serve warm, or cool and reheat in toaster.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts