Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Book Review: "The Christian Parenting Handbook"



Ever since Junior was born last year, Stinker has had a bad attitude. I understand it…she went from being the center of our attention, to being dragged along to doctor’s and therapy appointments multiple times a week, and watching as Junior’s special needs took up the majority of our time. We didn’t really have a choice, but, as her mom, it’s hard for me to feel like I’m not giving her the attention she needs.

I was so blessed to read “The Christian Parenting Handbook: 50 Heart Based Strategies for All the Stages of Your Child’s Life” while Stinker was going through one of her more difficult stages. This book, written by Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller, is comprised of 50 short chapters, each one delving into a possible issue with a child’s behavior, and heart-based strategies on improving the behavior.

I like heart-based parenting approaches, because it teaches children that being well-behaved is a deeper issue than listening to a parent “because I said so”, with a punishment being the feared consequence. A heart-based approach works on a child’s character, strengthening them as people and teaching them to respect, honor and obey because it’s the right thing to do, not because it helps them avoid trouble.
This book is very easy to read, and has a lot of good insights. I have used several of the strategies with success in attempting to turn Stinker’s attitude around. This book encouraged me to give her grace, and treat her offenses as learning opportunities instead of inconveniences or frustrations, with the end goal of making her a respectful, godly young woman, and not a little robot who listens to everything anyone tells her to do.

I recommend this book to any parent who is looking for a little inspiration in parenting, or who is looking for solutions to their child’s behavioral or attitude issues.

Thanks to the publisher and Booksneeze for providing a copy of this book for review. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts