Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Deep Dish Skillet Pizza

I've been trying to eat a little healthier since we returned from vacation. All that local fish and produce was so amazing, and I felt good after every meal. We typically eat pretty healthy anyway, (fresh fruit makes up nearly half my monthly grocery budget), but lately I've been trying to minimize pastas and breads in favor of healthy proteins and veggies. But, of course everything in moderation! I have maintained weekly pizza night, and I need to share with you the best pizza cooking tip I've ever received. Prepare to have your life changed!

First, preheat the oven to 450 degrees, then grab some pizza dough...homemade or storebought. You'll need one recipe, or about a pound of dough. Next, for one of my favorite kitchen items, a cast iron skillet (mine is 12 inches). Make sure the skillet is well-seasoned, and place your ball of dough in the skillet, stretching it from the middle out to the sides. The dough will go up the sides...that's what makes it deep dish. Push the dough out and up the sides until it's of uniform thickness. 

Put the cast iron skillet in the hot oven for about eight minutes, or until the dough has set and is slightly browned. (It's thick dough, so you want to make sure it cooks all the way!) Pull the skillet out of the oven, and add your pizza sauce, cheese, and desired toppings. Put back into the oven until cheese is melted and bubbly and crust is browned. 

Let sit for a minute, then remove the pizza to a cutting board using a large spatula, and cut into slices. Enjoy!

**Note: If your pizza doesn't slide right out of the skillet, it means it's not seasoned well enough. 

Browse all my family favorite recipes here 

Join our Facebook Community for more tips and recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from my readers!

Popular Posts